Hyperpigmentation—dark spots on the skin caused by excess melanin production—can be frustrating to anyone who deals with it. The condition is more common in people of African, Asian, and Mediterranean descent and can range from mild to severe. Fortunately, there are treatments for this skin condition.
What causes Hyperpigmentation?
A number of factors can contribute to the abnormal increase in melanin production that causes hyperpigmentation, including:
- Sunlight that leads to sun damage.
- Skin Damage due to skin injuries or skin conditions, such as eczema.
- Medications, such as antibiotics, hormone therapy (birth control pill), and chemotherapy.
- Hormonal (estrogen and progesterone) changes due to medication, menopause, and pregnancy.
- Allergic reactions, such as an inflammatory response to poison ivy.
How can hyperpigmentation be treated?
There are some powerful therapies to support the reduction of hyperpigmentation, including BBL (Broad Band Light) and the Halo Laser. In addition, certain skin care lines, like SkinMedica, include products that can reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation of the skin.
For detailed information on these treatments options from DermaTouch RN, refer to the treatment pages below:
Contact DermaTouch RN of Houston today for your FREE consultation!
Contact us today at 281-895-9090 to schedule your free consultation to discuss your skincare and cosmetic concerns, including treatment options for hyperpigmentation.